Friday, September 10, 2004

Woof Woof.....for laughs

I got a last minute call from the booker of a club I often perform at. Do I want to perform tonight? I say yes.... but can I just check quickly with my family and call him right back? I call my husband who the night before after almost two years of being very supportive, decides to put his foot down. He has decided that 4 nights out, at comedy a week is his personal limit. I understand...but at the same time resent needing to ask permission to do what I consider my job. So I ask him to keep the peace and he suprises me and says. "sure you should do it." "Go for it," Thats why Im married 21 years to this man...he still keeps me guessing. He explained hes happy for me but he misses me awwwwwwwwwwwe. Well you had 2 decades of me all to yourself...thanks, I gotta run.

I get to the club and we have no audience. We delay the start to 11pm from 10pm. I offer to bark fliers.I didnt drive an hour in traffic to tell jokes to empty chairs. Hey, I could go home and tell my joke to the empty sofa in my livingroom...no way..its heard all my stuff. Who new I could be so convincing. I myself, got 20 or so, people to walk in and see our show. We had 2 top comics do feature spots and 5 or 6 other comics. It turned out to be a decent show. I shouldnt be telling any one How well I did barking because Ill wind up walking the streets of NY more than the Lincoln tunnel bunnies. I must be naive or maybe I am just taking it all in stride for now...but its all for the good of the show and Call me crazy but I like to perform in a room full of people. What humbles me is how many other people are on the street barking... so called candy thugs for education, homeless people barking for change and a meal, and other entertainers looking to fill a room,so they can perform. I was always the one at the PTA or any organization I belong to asked to do fund-raising. I guess Im good at begging. If I have to beg....let me do it for an audience. Hell, Im not making any money at this point...Im working for laughs and compliments. I might need to buy more comfortable shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment