Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The Winner Is???

The past few weeks have been pretty exciting. I am in two contest and in both I have moved on to the next phase or final. Its bittersweet in someway. In one contest I was up against a comic that I have come to really respect and like and hated that it would be ahead to head competition. Unfortunately for one of us I won. It really took away from the dance I would have wanted to do if I won against someone else. My winning meant him not winning and I feel awfull.

Its so objective these contests. I really like being in Contests for many reasons. Firstly its an opportunity to play for a much larger audience. Then there is the benefit of getting some kind of gage on how well you are doing at this craft of comedy. Am I good enough to make it even into the darn thing. I was trilled just to be told that I was accepted into the Ladies of Laughter contest no less placing first in the NJ semifinals.

On the down side is not doing well. Or the variables....Judges were talking during your set. The worst comic brought his entire town with him. You had a cold. And God forbid the entire thing is rigged....ala....Last Comic Standing. I had a good friend loose at a very prestigious contest because...... Someone heckled her the entire set. Then there is the plain truth that you were just not as strong that night as the other comics. Contest force me to hone a set down to its absolute best under the restrictions of time and content. The worst part of contests is..... as wonderful as it is to do well in them.... The crash you feel when you loose is unbearable. Every negative quality I have, shows its awful head. Im bitter and remorseful. I second guess my every move. If I have a tape I examine it like its the Zebrudder Film of Kennedy's assassination. Then I swear I will never do another friggin contest. On the plus side as time moves on I can look back and see that each contest I have done, has made me a better comic. I also have met amazing people and made valuable contacts. I was just asked today by a producer of a contest I did last summer if I am available New Year's eve for a paid gig!!!!!!!!! Oh by the way I lost that one too. I have never won a contest yet......or have I ...I just didnt know it. I was looking at the wrong prize.

Comments are below
Go, Robin, Go!
Posted on 10/12/2004 at 08:49 AM by Adam Sank

I'm so proud of you!



You're a special act
Posted on 10/12/2004 at 11:00 AM by Joe Fernandes

I enjoy your act so much and when my family saw you at the Stress Factory 2 weeks ago, they echoed the same response. Its hard to explain but you have that certain "something" that most comedians I see dont have. An honesty and natural humor that makes your show fluid and real. Now, I'm not an authority on comedy, being that I have only been doing this for 3 months. But I am an experienced fan and I cant fake a laugh. And you make me laugh every time. Contest are fun, but by no means an accurate gage to go by. Just watch Last Comic Standing... aside from Dave Mordal and Vos I don't laugh. You have also been a tremendous source of encouragement for me since I started and I am thankful. Keep on making them laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment