Thursday, October 20, 2005

Why?

Of all the art forms one can pursue...I think standup comedy is probably one of the hardest of them all. If I spent years painting at least I might have a body of work that I could leave to my family. When I'm dead ...I'm thinking of willing off my jokes. Not that there so good mind you, but it is all I will have to show for the years of crawling through glass that this profession requires.

The other night a very up and coming on the fast track .....on the rise comic said to me. "When am I gonna start making some money at this." Now she has done a Premium Blend and performs at least 6 nights a week in the city. I can totally feel her frustration. She's funny as fuck....what the fuck. I will tell you this the money in her case will come. She's funny, young beautiful and is nice on and off stage. I am envious....6 nights a week. I would do it for free...to be that in demand. But no! I would get frustrated too....if I would ever get that much in demand I would think I should be earning some money. This is the lowest paying of almost all of the performing arts. When we do get a gig were thrilled to get $100. What is scale for a circus clown??? So the girl comic on the rise has a point. She's in her late 20's and wants this to be her profession. She also is most probably self supporting. I am in a totally different place. I have my house in NJ. The bills are getting paid. I am going on a vacation..... I have a good life to begin with. ........and the problem is???? I realize that the only reason to do this is that you love to do this. Is comedy like being in a one sided relationship....why do we love it???? What does it give back to me that I cant stop wanting to do it? I think part of it is that I like the attention? I like that it is something I can do well and not everyone can so I feel SPECIAL. I like getting out of the house. I like the community. I love the creativity and variety of it all....my jokes and yours.

Last night I did a show Called Chicks and Giggles. It is the second time I have done this show. It is all women.... It is so unlike the comedy you see in clubs. The comics don't do joke, joke, joke....Its more like conversion points and the funny follows. I was apprehensive because this is a young and kinda hipster room. Any one who knows me knows The only thing HIP about me....is my big hips. Stop and look at the Mommy Jeans. I have tried to be hip.......I bought the glasses. They made me look like a spinster not a hipster. So I decided to just blend in..... I have found from doing comedy that I have learned to blend in more. When you go to a club many times you have to adjust your set based on the room. You might have to change a joke because someone did a joke about the same premise...etc. Having done this show back last winter I new the vibe. It was the perfect place for me to be. Mostly because I have these two hosting gigs this weekend and I need to be more conversational than just relying on a set. Quite a few of the women had touched on Weight Watchers ... I have a joke I don't really like or use much in my set "SET" but last night I kinda acted like I was talking off the top of my head and dropped the best part of the joke into the conversation. The line got its biggest laugh since I wrote it over 2 years ago. I was really happy. If you haven't been to Chicks and Giggles you should its at MO Pinkins on Ave A....and 3rd St. The show is every Tuesday. If your a woman looking to get booked stop by one Tuesday and check it out. So I will leave you with this I still am not hip.....but for someone not trying to be hip....I can do 40ish I don't care if I'm hip so that makes me hip.......................in my sleep.

Comments are below
Thanks!
Posted on 10/21/2005 at 07:41 PM by Amy Patrick

Robin- thanks for this post. To say that comedy can be frustrating is an understatement. But, it's worth it. Thanks for the post.



Your most welcome...
Posted on 10/22/2005 at 01:38 AM by Robin Fox

Have we met? Try and get a photo up soon. I feel sometimes my posts are repetitve....but so is this bussiness

No comments:

Post a Comment