Sunday, October 23, 2005

Lets keep this show going!!!!!!!!!! Give it up for......

I left for the city early yesterday because I didn't want to be late to the show I was hosting. I forgot to show up at an aftenoon party because I was so nuts about hosting later that night. I have been working on new material and stream lining my jokes to fit the hosting format. Most of my bits are too long. The show I did was the 7:30 new talent showcase.

When I got there I was told that I wouldn't get much time up front.... 5 minutes. I was put off by this how was I to warm these people up? There were 3 staff spots to follow me. So I came onstage and just did crowd work. Then I told the room the rules...and then I mentioned that there were a lot of people here to see their friends and that lets be supportive of all the comics..... They were a great room! Not a typical bringer situation. So the 3 house comics did their sets and all were great. Sean Murphy, Steve Aaron's, and a comic who's name I cant recall. Then I went on and did one short bit. My goal was just to establish rapport and to let them get to know me. The show was being recorded and my friend Eric Alexander was filming. He needed me to do longer bits from time to time to change tape and then I would do a longer set. I had more one line jokes than I have ever had since I began doing comedy. All I do latly is write short jokes, because I had none. I was really happy with how well it went. I still had to run for the comics....learn how to say their names... get credits....time and light them etc.. And be funny! I was scared going in but once the show began I really felt very comfortable. The comics were funny ! Only one did awful. Only one comic ignored the light....( I hate that) I had the club manager telling me to get him off. I did everything except walk on to the stage....and pull him off. There were two stand outs last night. Adrienne Ioppolucci, and Tim Warner. Both had the sets of the night. There was another comic I know from Sal's a big funny guy who went on early in the show who also killed....I have to find my list and figure out who he was. Dave O'Gara (thanks April see comment).

I really am so happy to have gotten through this . I know this is what I need to be doing. I don't know if I will ever be a great MC but I know MCing will help me be a greater comic. Then just when I am feeling like I'm the shit....in walks Michelle Bateau to the club. For those of you who don't know Michelle she is wonderful. She has a Premium Blend coming out in a few weeks. She is my favorite MC in the city. Every show she does makes you feel like you are so lucky to be at HER PARTY! She is everything I would like to be as a host. I may have done well but to be in Michelles league of hosting ....... I have a lot to learn.

Its funny so many comics I meet know me from the Soapbox page. It happens all the time. Its nice because many of the comics feel like the know me already. Someone asked me why I blog. I responded that no one in my suburban life really wants to hear this stuff. My husband listens to it day in and day out....... Its an outlet for me and a chance to connect with perhaps someone who might give a rats ass. Quite a few conversations have been about the new format of the web site. What many say they miss is The Rundown of whom is going to be on the Soapbox show. You can still find it but you have to go to the calendar section to find it. The other thing is the Comedians on Comedians. It was fun to see what we all were saying about each other. I myself LOVED the Comedy around the world that listed 3-4 comics and where they were playing. It was fun to see to find out that someone I knew was going to Tampa etc. Everyone is talking about the comedians circle. It is kinda fun. Let's just get one thing out of the way as a teen I sat at the un cool table, that anyone wants to join my circle is a riot to me. I guess If you live long enough you see everything.

Comments are below

Posted on 10/24/2005 at 11:37 PM by April Brucker

There was another comic I know from Sal's a big funny guy who went on early in the show who also killed....I have to find my list and figure out who he was.

Oh, that was Dave O'Gara. I know this for a fact because he is my boyfriend (I let the secret out) and he could not come to my show saturday because he was doing the guest spot he won at Aaron Haber's mic. I told him you mentioned him and he says thank you because he cannot get ot a computer.



Thanks April
Posted on 10/25/2005 at 12:19 AM by Robin Fox

He was great! Steve even said to me ...hes good. It was a pleasure to see him do so well. I really am usually very good with names and Tell him I am sorry I couldnt remember his name.




Posted on 10/25/2005 at 07:53 AM by April Brucker

will do Robin

1 comment:

  1. Just found this today. Was it really only 3 years ago? I was living on a friends couch trying to get something to happen in the big apple. Life couldn't have been anymore different then and now. Anyway it was nice to see a genuine compliment with my own eyes even if it is a bit dated. Take Care Robin.

    ReplyDelete