Monday, October 17, 2005

Hosting jitters.

I have been forcing myself to write... not to just jot down an idea when it pops in my head. I am still informal, I do most of my writing now while waiting for my kid to come out of a lesson or while I wait for parking at 6:30 PM so that I can park without a ticket at 7. I would have to say that I am shocked at how little I like. It is during these sessions that I become convinced that I have no right to be a comic. Then out of the blue one thing might look promising. I then think......now I got to go shop this thing at open mic's. I get depressed. Not that I expect to do the bit and get much feedback at an open mic. What does happen though at open mic's is the joke starts to take on a form and a I can feel out if I think it has potential. I don't know about others but every really good joke I have....I knew pretty early on if it was gold or not. Some jokes need time to develop and the open mic's are really the best place for them.

I was at the NYCC this past Sat night watching the show. I saw Marina Franklin do her set. What was really wonderful was that she really doesn't work joke joke joke. Her delivery her confidence and her persona on stage have as much to do it a bit works than the bit itself. She does bits where If I wrote it I might think there isn't enough here to make something out of it. She had a way of milking out the funny. So I am learning that I need to be more open to the things I write.....perhaps they might be funnier than I think.

Lastly I have been fortunate lately and have been getting booked to do Hosting. This Friday I will be hosting at the Soapbox show at RB's and Sat. I will be Hosting the 9pm show at NYCC. I think that hosting is the hardest thing I do. Mostly because I have been doing it for a very short time and the only way to learn to do it is to do it. If you have ever seen me perform I am not a crowd work comic.... Hey you give me 5 min's. of stage time in NYC I'm not wasting a second on talking to you. But now I have too. I also am not a one liner comic. So I have gone through every notebook every scrap of paper and trying to put together as many short jokes as I can use of mine for hosting. It feels like starting all over again. I am very nervous and I pray my PMS hold off one week so I can think clearly this weekend.

Comments are below
You will be great!
Posted on 10/17/2005 at 05:55 PM by Adrienne

You are a great comic and know where the funny is. Knock em dead!



Knock 'em Dead, Baby
Posted on 10/17/2005 at 07:24 PM by Adam Sank

You always do...




Posted on 10/18/2005 at 06:12 PM by Joe Fernandes

You expressed some of the same thoughts I get about comedy. Hosting is weird. As you have seen, I have been hosting steady for about 6 months now. Its an up and down thing. Some nights Im mortified up there because talking to the crowd is so diffrent on any given night. But wait until you see how it will influence your act. Because now, from hosting, you'll be engaging your audience in a new way, and giving the old jokes some new life. Thats what happened for me. People told me hosting would make me better. While taking my lumps I didnt see it happening, but now I see what they meant. Check out this link, it has a good article on Mcing that gave me some good stuff before I Mcd my first A-room. http://www.cringehumor.net/columns/020904_askjason.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment