Saturday, October 22, 2005

One down one to go...

So tonight I hosted the Soapbox show at RB's. It is the first of two hosting spots I have this weekend. Saturday I am hosting at NYCC. I was really nervous about tonight's show it was the first time I was invited to perform there without barking. I wanted to leave my home in "WHY the fuck do I live so far from NYC, NJ. by 7pm. My call time was 9:45 I know it is insane to think it might take 2 hours and 45 minutes but on a Friday night it could.

I didn't get out of the house till 7:30 I am listening to the voice of God 1010 WINS for the traffic report. It is a crap shoot wich way to enter the city with out it. The Lincoln was delayed 45 minutes. Holland tunnel was 15 min's delay...and the GW Bridge was no delay. Now I never went into Manhattan by way of the GW. I'm afraid to go this way because if I get lost it could get ugly. The Holland seemed good but the west side hwy they never report on and it has taken me over 2 hours to get uptown on a Friday evening. I decide it will be the GW the show is on 94th and Amsterdam....its a plan. I take route 78 and like an idiot I get on Turnpike south. FUCK FUCK FUCK..... I hate when I go dumb and just let the car do the driving. So I race down to exit 13 I see no sighs to go back on the TPK to go north so like an idiot ....I go to the toll booth with a human. I have ez pass and she says since I don't have a toll card I have to pay the full toll almost 5 dollars. I tell her I know that she can write my transponder number down and I can pay that way.....this has happened to me before. She looks at me and says "just go". It was too much of a bother I guess. (One point me).

So I'm listening to NEWS RADIO 88 now and they say the Lincoln is down to a 5 minute wait. Change of plans...... but what is this. There is a huge electronic billboard over the high way that says Lincoln Tunnel heavy delays. I roll the dice and go with the Radio Gods. Sure enough it was smooth sailing right in to the city. I hop on the West side Hwy and were moving....until around 90th street. Were bumper to bumper. My cell phone rings and I have no intention of answering it I just want to make sure its not my daughter who I will have to call right back. I just glance to my car seat. I am moving at 1 mile an hour just then a car drives by on my right on the shoulder cutting 6 cars ahead. The car in front of me stops short and I TAP him. Not hit him Tap him. Out of the car comes a guy about 30 Spanish baseball hat jeans with the crotch at his knees. Foot ball jersey. He is looking at his bumper cars are honking. I get out and say I'm so sorry the car that cut in startled me. He says look at all this damage. He points to thin scratches that go horizontal on the bumper. The side of his car has these too and I didn't tap him there. He says that the impact shattered the paint. I say are you kidding me I was going 1 mile an hour. I tell him lets get the cops. I then think I am going to miss my show. Plan B. I ask him how much money can I give him to make this go away. I have 14 bucks, maybe 25. He says I need at least $100 to repaint the bumper. I cant believe this. I say lets call the cops. I dial 311. He walks over to my car and says he's sorry that he over reacted and says forget it. Wheeew. Just incase I dial my home phone and leave his licence plate number on my machine.

I get to the gig and start to look for parking. I get lucky and find a space. I walk into the club 20 minutes early. You see you need all that extra Friggin time....its NY. The show is about to start and we have 4 people in the audience. I am new to hosting...so I start off slowly. I tell them about my ride into the city. They are laughing. I ask them a few questions. I'm just playing with them. I did okay. Was I fantastic ...no but I did good. It was a new experience for me doing crowd work with 4 people. Then as the night went on we made it up to about 12-15. There were a lot of great comics too. Bernie Paulie was wonderful I always like her. Matty Golberg did a good set and EJ Williams was very funny it was the first time I have seen him. Mark Macomb was great too. Danny McDermott showed up late and had the set of the night. They just loved him. I left feeling like I learned something's about hosting. Its no big deal.... yet it is. I needed to be the me that I am that's funny offstage as much as Robin the funny onstage character. I am grateful that I did the Chicks and Giggles show earlier this week it really helped. So tomorrow night is the big one at NYCC. I hope I can do even better. It is always a learning experience...but I want to really do well all the same.

Comments are below
Good Luck!
Posted on 10/22/2005 at 04:35 AM by Adrienne

I will be at NYCC tomorrow night, can't wait to see you!



Congrats!
Posted on 10/22/2005 at 02:24 PM by Brad Cox

It's tough to break in. I know. I'm going through that now. Best of luck.



Its raining...
Posted on 10/22/2005 at 03:00 PM by Robin Fox

Thanks Adrienne and Brad.. So here we go again ... Im leaving 3 hours early because of the rain. The driving some nights is as big of a challenge as the show. My plan for tonight is to try to have a little fun. I really dont like hosting yet. I know I will like it more as I get better at it. And since it usually is the first rung to doing spots what choice do I really have. The hardest part is if Im having a bad day I can act my way through a well prepared 10 minute spot....but this is a 2 hour deal. Keep you posted.



Congratulations! From Linda San Lucas
Posted on 10/23/2005 at 07:33 PM by Linda San Lucas

Hey Robin: Congrats on the hosting gigs..I know you'll be great at it, I 've MC'd and its hard work! Hope you enjoyed it. Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment