Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tuesday with Laurie

I am so excited tonight I am hosting at NYCC and my role model and idol Laurie Kilmartin is performing. I can die now. I feel like I am really a comedian. Wow. When I started this thing I used to troll the web looking to learn anything I could from anyone. I found Laurie had a web site with a weekly blog she had kept for over 5 years. Like a nut that I am I read the entire thing over the course of that first summer in comedy. I learned so much from her. Firstly I love her as a comedian. I dont see her as a woman comic I see her as just a top notch comic....everything I would hope to be.

The second thing I loved about her is that she always seem grounded to the truth. She told the truth about the realities of this business she was truthful about all aspects of navigating he life in comedy. She gave me the closest sense of a road map when I was getting started.

I love her humor it is real and smart and has a sarcasum I adore.Laurie traveled and did the road for over a decade...then she came to NYC and had to start right where all of us do, she hit the open mic's. In her blog she talks about going from doing 40 minute sets to doing 5 minutes at a Village open mic. She was so talented that in two years time she had worked her way into the top clubs in NYC. Her first club to give her a break was the NYCC. I met Miss Kilmartin in front of the Improv 3 months ago and she was warm and approachable. It is a dream come true that I will be hosting a show she will be on. I have a respiratory infection and am feeling like shit but I don't have time to be sick. This is just so great.

I have small goals in comedy and this is a goal I didn't even know I had. My favorit quote is Her's " ALL we have control of is to try to get funnier" It is my mantra.

Comments are below
Nice!
Posted on 12/14/2005 at 07:03 AM by Greg Manuel

By any chance did she do the joke about how she could never marry Charlie Sheen? I saw her at an open mic some two or three years ago, and I always liked that one...wordplay just gets me, you know?




Posted on 12/14/2005 at 10:50 AM by Raquel D'Apice

Congrats! Hope it went well!



Congrats
Posted on 12/14/2005 at 06:16 PM by April Brucker

She is one funny lady (you are too). I saw her act a while ago I believe when I first came to nyc. I nearly wet my pants



Im Sick
Posted on 12/14/2005 at 08:10 PM by Robin Fox

I guess its been to much excitement and late nights for this old lady. Last night was really a tough night. We had a million comics to put up. Lorrie was gonna perform at half past nine but came back around ten fourty five. She remembered me from infront of the Improv where I met her a few months ago. I intorduced her and as I did half the room walked. Oh my.She asked the room to give ME a hand for hosting which was really nice. Only one other comic did that last night. She did too long a set and it was my fault. No one told me how long she was to do. I figured 8 minutes. I felt awful. She was wonderful but she struggled the room was really tough. The show went on till the we we hours.

There were a few standouts last night. Chriss Souflee went on right after Larie and killed it was a spectacular set. A black woman named Georgette was also very strong. Alex Rubar was a total nut as the "Angry Lumber Jack" Kiesha Zoalar ,and Katie McKenna all were real stand out stand ups last night. I got home at 3 am and I am so sick with a respritory infection and cold.



Really?
Posted on 12/14/2005 at 08:48 PM by Harris Bloom

SHE can't even do eight minutes?

And to think,I get pissed when I can only do five.

Feel better.





I was there
Posted on 12/15/2005 at 11:33 AM by Jeanne Noll

and Robin did a great job and I was watching when Laurie got up - she did great considering the fact that so many people got up right as she was getting on the stage. And - yes it was a long long night!



Still sick
Posted on 12/15/2005 at 04:42 PM by Robin Fox

Thanks Jeany (NOLLL) As I wrote you even though you performed for 8 people you could see that the writing is there. You were really kind to stay till we locked the doors. Also I have to mention Grace Clayton she was a 3rd time on stager and she was very good.

I so wanted to go out to the Lantern tonight but Im sick still

No comments:

Post a Comment