Monday, December 12, 2005

Come back an wow me in another six months

That is what Starla told me to do after my last audition. She was really positive until she found out it was my first audition and said that if that's the case comeback in 6 months and wow me again. Tonight I will audition again. I am not feeling sharp. I feel tiered all day and depressed. I don't know if I should do other material or the same stuff I did last time but with my better timing and new tags. I will go with the latter. I had a great audition at NYCC for industry and did well. I did the best at this point in time that I am capable of doing. One agent passed on me and the other liked me and wants to see more in 6 months.

That all said.... I feel like someone let all the air out of my head. I had an argument with Mr Fox yesterday and my life is at an all time stress high. I am a pro. I have a 6 minute set for a 5 min audition. I need to see the room before I figure out what to cut. Go know. I am writing this to remind myself that this is all I work for. I sometimes wonder why I am so full of angst and second guessing myself so much. I am really a good comedian. If it was baseball and they kept stats... Mine are good. It just is I am an approval junkie and this entire process takes a lot out of me. I just want to get booked more on better shows. It is not the fame it is the undying need to perform in good rooms and to make people laugh...which I can do.

I love doing Adams room. Every time I go there I really do kill. The high from that lasts for days. I love doing Don't tell Mamas for the same reasons. I know this is what I should be doing with my life. I have known I'm a comic all my life. I feel like shit ...But I'm going and I am gonna Wow that woman if it kills me.

Comments are below
so how good did you do?
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 12:16 AM by Josh Homer





As an artist
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 12:37 AM by H. P.

The artist is always critical of the art they paint. never realizing the art in itself is inspiring and the ARTIST IS the masterpiece. So I hoped you riped them all a new one.

Remember the Pearl Necklace.

Peace



no soap radio
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 02:30 AM by Robin Fox

I am sad to report that I did not wow her tonight. I miss read the room. I was the first up after the passed pros. Vinnie Brand was up before me and had an excellent set the room loved. I should have taken notice of the age of the room. I had planned my strong KY opener and it was wrong for the room. It was filled with people even older than myself and I am older than dirt. The first joke that more than usually kills hit soft. I pertended that it was fine. I moved into my second joke and it landed a bit stronger but still softer than expected. Then I hit into my stride and things went well. I did this very same set last week at an industry showcase at NYCC and it killed. It is a 5 minute set that took at NYCC 6 minutes so I was fearfull and cut out a few jokes and timed it for 4 mins 30 seconds leaving room for my imagined applause breaks and laughter. I was done at 4min 30 seconds and ended short. I was underwhelmed. Not to make excuses...but I was having an off day the entire day at home. I quit smoking and was irritable more than normal. Im off them 3 weeks one day.

I also like an ass asked Vinne to stay and watch my set so it was a double audition....more pressure. Lastly the Comical Mag. was there to photograph me for an upcoming feature story....what am I high?? I only wish it would have at least been enjoyable.

Starla came out to talk to me. She didnt remember me at all. I refreshed her with a comment she gave me about a joke that I had changed. She said first off I ran short...not good. Then she said I had really good punch lines but my set ups were too long. This is the same set that last time she complimented me in the set up punch ratio. So I dont know what to do with that. She didnt think my opener was strong enough and I told her it was wrong for the room tonight and she agreed. She also told me I should have been in the balcony watching the sets before me to get a sence if things needed changing. I told her Im new and I dont know how to zig and zag under pressure yet and that I could have saved it with replacing the joke with another and then told it to her ...making her laugh.

She told me I am going to get this right eventually and she looks forward to seeing me in 6 months. I know this I have no choice but to continue to work my butt off and just ghet funnier. I find this comedy thing is getting harder and harder yet I really feel like I am developing comedy some stronger comedy abs. So my 6 pack is 6 months away. She lead me to believe that she is sure that I will nail this and its a matter of time and timing.

Lastly the comedy planets werent in line tonight...I wasnt in the zone but I know I will get there somehow.

Tonight Tuesday I am hosting at NYCC. This was just a dream a year ago. I am thrilled because my idol...Laurie Kilmartin is on the bill. She is my inspiration...and the woman who taught me my mantra, All we have control of is to try to get funnier. Im trying and then some.

I left the audition tonight and went to the Holiday party at NYCC. I had such a great time and I have to say it was wonderful to be with so many friends and people I just enjoy so much. I also feel that I have gained the respect of people who I never dreamed I could ever deserve to share a stage with just a few years ago. So I guess it is a good ending to this year. I am just finishing my 3rd year and I am futher than I thought Id be and have so much more to learn and grow. I dont want a sitcom....I dont want to be Ellen. I just want to be a working comic who is booked on shows and gets the chance to perform in shows with other good comics and hold my own. I am too hard on myself most of the time....but despite the outcome tonight I am truly proud of the work I am doing and Im a glutton for punishment...this wont stop me. Im stubborn, Im married 23 years I can handle ups and downs with the best of them.



Oh well...as they say...
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 07:24 AM by Harris Bloom

Whatever doesn't kill ya postpones the inevitable.

Better luck next time (and I love Kilmartin too - she did a set at a show I was on last night).





Congrats on Quitting Smoking....
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 09:51 AM by Al Wagner

Soon, very soon, you will stop thinking about it...You are certainly tough, talented and determined, so I know you can beat the habit and the audition process eventually.

And if I ever get an audition at the Comic Strip, of course I won't pass but I am going to say it is my fiftieth audition so she tells me to pack it in...no hope for me. ;)



You can do it!
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 10:33 AM by Jeanne Noll

Hi Robin. I quit smoking about 13 years ago. Haven't had one since. If I could do it - you definitely can. When I used to crave a cigarette I'd go outside and take a giant breath of fresh air into my lungs - it did help. Also, each time you would normally buy a pack, put the money in a jar - at the price they are today - you'll have enough for a small vacation before ya know it. And sorry about your audition last night. If this helps - I know people who've been doing it much longer than 3 years and aren't auditioning yet - so you have come far.



Noll
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 04:13 PM by Kelly Shannon

yeah, she quit smoking but now she's drinking (see previous blog) :)



I'm sorry Robin.
Posted on 12/13/2005 at 07:14 PM by Dave O'Gara

I'm really shocked and surprised. You are really talented, hell you know that. I'm sure you'll get it next time. Shit happens kid, you will make it happen. Stay strong.



coming from you Dave
Posted on 12/14/2005 at 02:16 AM by Robin Fox

Thats a rave. You know how wonderful I and talented I think you are. Im really not to upset Starla was very positive and feels strongly that I will pass eventualy. I forgot to mention when I walked into the Club The woman who beat me at the Ladies of Laughter was there. I got jolted by it. She is another mom comic and I paniced that Id have to follow her and it would be bad. She in the end went on after me. I know that if I dont give up and god I dont know why I am so determined in the face of all thats up against me I will make it. Its a living thing this comedy thing and I just have to hope that next time I will be on my A game.

No comments:

Post a Comment