Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy New Year/Mom

Congratulations to us all for making it through another year. No matter where you are in comedy it is always a challenge and that deserves some kind of acknowledgement. No matter where you are .... From the comedy virgin who finally got the courage to do that first open mic to the vet running all over the city to do a unpaid spot at 1 am just for the love of it.

We all give up so much to chase down that laugh waiting just around the corner in the next joke we may perform. Some of us are chasing fame but most of us are just chasing the chance to make people laugh and laugh so hard that they might even remember us and want to see us again.

The highlight of this past year for me was knowing that I made people laugh and I did it more often and better than I did the year before. I met a lot of great funny interesting people and unlike raising my family I didn't feel isolated and alone most of the time. Sure I melted down a few times and questioned why anyone in their right mind would pursue this.....and then Id come up with something in my head and need to get on a stage and share it and spin it and see if it could fly....and be funny to anyone besides myself.

I am so grateful to all the wonderful people I have met doing this..... I spent a long time dealing with people who bored me and didn't get me being a home based mom for all those years. I love my family a am so grateful that I could be home with them to love and take care of them....and it came at a price. I have wanted to be a comedian since I was a freshman in college and I tucked that dream away for so long....... and I did have fun being the funniest mom in the cul de sac and cracking them up on supermarket lines. When I started this comedy thing my one wish was to be able to say I am "a Comedian and have it be true". This year more than ever I feel that I have reached this goal. Its all up hill from here and If I'm lucky I will meet more amazing people than get more laughs than the year before.

Happy New Year !

Comments are below
Hmmmm...
Posted on 12/31/2005 at 06:21 PM by Harris Bloom

Do you really believe that some are chasing fame but most are chasing the chance to make people laugh and wanna see them/us again?

I'm not so sure.

I will say that in the few months that I've been doing this, my goal has already changed...fact is, comics just dont make coin...unless you're willing to be a road comic, living the life of a nomad for a few years, it's tough to make it as a full-time comic.

Between that and hearing what comics make per set (I think you can still qualify for food stamps), I still wanna be a comic, getting paid by NY clubs, but I don't think it'll ever be my only gig.

So I'm not sure where I fit in...actually...thinking about it...wanting people to come see you again is a type of fame...just on a lower scale.

My point? None..as usual.

Happy New Year.





Happy New Year
Posted on 12/31/2005 at 09:36 PM by

I am happy you are realizing your dream, Robin! I was delighted to see you are back at the NYCC...just bring liner for that seat! lol I am sure I will see you there because I am back in comedy. I am doing open mic at the Comic Strip. I wrote a whole new set... It is easy to get stuck at one level and stay there forever. It is true that you have to be ready to take it to "the road." I am not; so here I stay: locked into Manhattan comedy clubs and loving it! For me, "making it" is a booked spot that is not a "bringer!"



what am I chasing??
Posted on 01/03/2006 at 12:49 PM by Andy Kaufman

I am chasing a ghost!

No comments:

Post a Comment