Friday, January 21, 2005

I didnt know that! Dont tell Mama

I really love finding out new trivial information. Last night I watched Paul Shafer host the Letterman show. What a hipster...I'm from the same generation as him and is it me or does he just try a bit too much to be cool. I learned that he wrote the Song ...Its Raining Men sung by the Weather girls. What is scary is I know that this is just the kind of useless information that my mind will retain long after I am old and demented and cant remember the names of my children. Paul thanked Dave tonight by saying that he "Got to drive the Rolls last night". Not since Sammy Davis Jr. has anyone tried so hard to be cool. Now I'm beginning to question if in fact Paul pulls it off.

I'm a bit nervous tonight I have a weekend full of comedy in front of me. I'm doing my first show at Don't tell Mamas... The Poole Party. I really want to do well. The show starts at 9:30 and then on Sat. night I have an PM and a 10pm show. The weather is going to be awful they are saying and I cant cancel. I will take the train in and stay at my Mother in Laws instead of driving in from NJ. I was so excited to get these gigs and now that they are here I am nervous and worried. I want so desperately to do well. The key I have found is to get on stage and be very confident and well I'm a bit shaky. This is in no way meant to put down open micer's....but I desperately want to get out of having to do so many open mic's. Stage time is very important and there are absolutely no short cuts around it. I just really want to do more shows in front of paying audiences for longer than 5 minutes at a time. I push myself to do as much stage time as I can find because I got into comedy very late in the game and need to make a mark for myself before it is perceived that I am too old to be just starting out. I have come a long way but I must say it never gets any easier it just gets different. I progress and with each advancement...new challenges show up. My goal is to just get funnier and hope the rest will follow. The rest being that there will be outward signs that I might have gotten funnier??? Like gigs or some kind of recognition. Is this making any sense or is this some PMS induced delusional blah blah blah????? Pray for good weather in the NYC area. If this was a Party Id call and say "Hey its awful out some other time" but its not its everything I have worked so hard for and I feel that unless I'm dead I have to show.

Comments are below
paul
Posted on 01/21/2005 at 12:37 PM by

for some reason i liked paul better when he had hair. he just seemed a little cooler to me. As far as open mic's go im with you. I hate having to do them so much, but unfortunately there isnt much oppurtunity to do paid shows where im at (upstate ny). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for good weather. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment