Sunday, January 16, 2005

A Face for Radio part 2.......Last Fridays Show at 88 keys

Yesterday I had an audition to do a radio commercial. An agency saw me on the Comedy Soapbox and apparently felt from my bio and picture that... I was just who they didn't want to see....lets put her in our radio ad. The agency wanted me to improvise an ad for a State Lottery. I spent the next day thinking about premises and where I might go with this. I came up with what I thought was a great idea and I wrote it down and mailed it to myself. Its one thing to have a joke stolen....Its another if they make uber bucks off of my idea...for an ad campaign. I drove into the city and made it in record time. On the drive in I saw a car flipped over and on fire. The police were on the scene. I made it to the address and found parking space like JR Ewing used to get on Dallas. Right in front of the door to the building. The meter had an hour still on it. I went up to the audition the place was beautiful...like out of a movie. I was taken to a sound booth where we taped for 15 minutes a few of my ideas. I used different voices and even did a bit from my set that is about.....winning the Lottery. How weird and strange is that. It was like I was in my own little sitcom. Is this really my life. I drove home and there was a dump truck accident on Route 78, near Summit. I sat a hour waiting for them to remove a truck load of dirt off the Hi way. I should know about the commercial late next week. I'm really not counting on it. The agent thought I was from Long Island. After living with a man from Bklyn for 22 years I have developed a NY twang. Shit. I know this is true. All the time people ask me where on LI do you live.... I reply the Jersey part. I used to sound like Jane Pauly...Like I was from the mid west. Shit.

Last night I did an amazing show for Joe Conte at a new venue in Woodbridge NJ. Listen if you want people to come see you on a weekend...cause they bitch they cant get into NYC during the week for a bringer. Do this amazing room. I passed a rear end collision on the way there...that makes 3 road accidents in one day....I feel safer knowing the magical 3 number has been met. I realize that on all 3 accidents no one was hurt. I did the show it was wonderful the room was packed and it was just a fun fun night. Dennis Larsen was the MC and he was really good for a new comic less than a year into this he was poised funny and relaxed. Joe Fernandez had a terrific set ...and Joe Conte had a strong set. John Bander was back, better than ever and looked like he was having a great time on stage and off.. The evil twins of the Stress Factory... Who I love and still wouldn't want to go near my daughter... Chris Mc Divot and Greg Concodora where there and both had some amazing moments on stage. Chris made a joke to a heckler with tattoos that were the laugh of the night. The show is on the Soapbox put your avails in now. It is moving to Sat Nights in a few weeks and let me tell you this is a great place for new comics to really break loose.

I will be playing next weekend both Friday and Sat. in the city for the first time. I remember just a few months ago in August doing my first weekend spot in the city...and now I have 2 shows. I am so happy and grateful. I am doing what I love and I have met such amazing talented people. I was very touched by the fellow comics who many I only know from the Soapbox who wished me luck on my audition...I have never felt so apart of anything in my life.

Comments are below
Yay!
Posted on 01/17/2005 at 02:48 PM by Jill Twiss

I'm sure you did brilliantly. And that's a GREAT casting agency that called you in. Keep in touch with them!



Thanks for checking out my blog
Posted on 01/18/2005 at 09:26 AM by Matt Gallagher

If you want to post images on your blog, you just have to use HTML tags. If you do a google search, you can find easy instructions for it.

Thanks for the comment to my blog, and good luck with the commercial

No comments:

Post a Comment