Monday, November 8, 2004

Hitting the Brick Wall.....has this happend to you???

I hit a brick wall this past week. I did 8 shows in 4 days and began to loose it. I don't know if it had to do with sitting in traffic at 1:30am 2 nights in a row at the Holland tunnel or having to endure not one but two ventriloquist acts in two rooms in one night. Elaine Stretch the Broadway Star tells a story of a prostitute who when asked if she liked her job, answered. "Its not the work that's hard its walking in heals and climbing up and down the hotel stairs".

I tend to do most things in extremes and on paper it seemed like a good idea... If Im going into the city anyway why not go from one open mic to the next. I had my first paid gig at Sals' Comedy Hole coming up and a showcase at the Cellar at the end of the week, so how could it hurt.

I found myself feeling detached from the audience and sick of hearing my same jokes. By the time mid week came around I became punch drunk. I did an underwelming job at the Duplex. Everyone there had prepared day after the election jokes and I didn't have any. I felt naked. I met a friend there and we went to dinner and had a reprieve from thinking about my set for a few hours. After dinner I started to walk to the Lantern by myself. Suddenly out of no where I became completely overwhelmed. Why am I doing this?...Its to hard. What do I need to prove to myself? What's this all for? Your to old for this!! Your the joke! You will never ever write another funny thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The jokes on you. Im cold. I want to go home.

Before I knew it, I was standing at the doorway to the Lantern and walked down the stairs. In front of me sat yet another ventriloquist. I took out my book. I looked for a few thoughts I had barely worked on. I didn't care anymore. I went up to the stage when my name was called.....the white light hit my face. I improvised the 4 main ideas I had tried to flesh out on paper. Laughter returned. John Morrison was laughing. This might be going well. Applause. I sat down.I got a few pats on my back. Later upstairs on the street John paid me a lovely compliment...that meant the world to me... I went home happy.

Thursday I did a show in NJ ... It went well. Did I kill...no? I delivered a good set nothing more. Friday was the Cellar showcase it went well although I did feel that I didn't do the full 5 minutes. I had 3 hours to kill between the cellar and my show at Sal's. I walked with comic I greatly respect who has been in this for a few years longer than me.. to his car. I asked him If he ever felt that he hit a wall. He knew just what I was talking about. I felt better. Later walking again alone I found myself in a surreal experience when I realized that for 3 blocks I had been seeing nothing but shoe stores. No, I had not fallen into some Sex in the City shoe heavan....rather I found out that 8th street is Shoe Street. I walked past Washington Sq. Park and was asked if I needed anything from a drug dealer. I was shocked and some how complimented that he would ask someone my age, maybe I am not that old. I stopped at Esperanto on Mac Dougal for a cup of coffee and went outside to say goodnight to my son on the phone. It was around 10pm. A young black man sat down next to me and was talking on his cell phone too. It was Dave Chappelle. Once we were both off of our phones I said hi to him and told him I was a fan and a comic. He was warm and approachable I mentioned that my friend Larry Bailey had seen him a week before at the Cellar ...He remembered Larry. Then I had to ask him about the brick wall. He knew....He knew just what I was talking about.... there are lots of them ahead of us all it seems. I mentioned the ventriloquist night to him. He laughed and said something about following a Hypnotist. He had some serious drinking to do and kissed my hand goodnight. I crossed the street to Sal's. I watched Sal perform. I looked and learned. He did one of the best sets I have see him do. I got up to do my first paid gig in NYC and had an excellent set. This is a long race.....what can get me through it is... pacing myself, the support of others who have been in it for the long haul and just staying the course. It only looks easy.

Comments are below
Pucker Up Butter Cup!
Posted on 11/08/2004 at 04:55 AM by Tommy Brennan

To Robin,

This is for someone I've seen grow in front of my eyes no matter how many times she bugs me in my booth of solitude. I've seen em bad and I've seen em great, lately greater than ever before Rob, I feel the same way every week @ the same place around 8:30 pm on weds., its natural. I wish I could gallop all over the city and have showcase spots and Chapelle kiss my hand, be it hairy, I still would have liked it. All I'm saying is you're being what you want to be and you hate repitition. Welcome to Comedy, party of everyone?



You Can't Make This Stuff Up
Posted on 11/08/2004 at 09:27 AM by Scott Beaton

Wow, you couldn't have written a better scenario than that. Seriously though Robin, if you were feeling that way and you recieved that kind of intervention, I would take it was a sign of big things to come. And I'm with Tommy, I woouldn't have minded Chapelle kissing my hand either.



Funny you should say that.
Posted on 11/08/2004 at 01:40 PM by Robin Fox

Right before I called my son. I read my horoscope. It said something like.... The best is yet to come, the most creative years of yourlife are infront of you. Then I called my son. It really was a night of signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment