Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Comedy....doctor in the house?

I am going into the city today.... I usually have a goal as to what I want to accomplish by performing each time. This time I don't know. I am not going to drive for 3 hours today...to do a set that I know can work and that I can pull off most of the time...what for?? I don't have a new 5 minute set. What I have are a bunch of disjointed jokes and premises. I feel totally lost in comedy right now. I think I have risen to a new level over the past year, which is fantastic...yet I'm kind of floundering now. I won the who can invite the most people to join the Soapbox contest and besides becoming a staff member as a prize I won the book "How to become a Working Comic." I don't know what it is but I feel stuck. I don't feel ready to get into high gear and market myself. I have a strong set of 20-40 minutes in length and yet I don't know if I'm what you would call a feature act. Could someone out there clue me in ...what comes next. I have been a fantastic open micer for the past 18 months... now what. Do I do regular showcases?? I'm producing in NJ a bunch of new shows and will be starting a once a month Saturday night room in Somerset County come this February. It just is as I'm going down this road the further I go the less direction I seem to have. I also am obsessed with writing another completely new 15 minute set. I have had a lot of false starts and am struggling to make it all flow. In some ways it seems that it is getting harder instead of easier?? Where were you in your second year of comedy. I know we each grow at our own rate...it just is I just want to know if these growing pains are normal or not ....what do you think?? To all of you here at the Soapbox...Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment