Thursday, June 23, 2005

Pot roast blues

Sunday night after a fathers day dinner and sitting around admiring all the new shirts and ties that were given as presents...I got the itch to run into the city. Sal's Comedy Hole has been running a Laugh off contest and there were only 4 chances left to make it into the contest. I had made it into the final 5 of the night after many long hours and I was beaten each time by A, A better comic B, A comic with lots of friends to cheer for them or C, a young hot girl comic that the guys all wanted to win. The last one was particularly hard for me when one night the Laugh Off was won by a girl who used to baby sit for me when my daughter was a baby. I didn't even know she did comedy. To her credit she was funny. She had a friend there and she was young and hot. A trifecta.

So Sunday night, I drove into the city and was so happy to be there and the goal was to win a spot into the finals to be held in a few weeks at Stand Up NY and the winners from that will move on to Caroline's. I came in guns blazing and got a spot for the evenings final 5. The room was mostly comics and as I walked up to do my 90 seconds I knew that I needed to make the comics laugh and if I didn't I was out. I couldn't do my standard 90 because they all have heard it 10 or more times. I did a new joke. This joke is an "act out" and any time I have done an act out it bombed. I had done the joke only 2 times before it killed the first time and bombed the second. I did the joke anyway and it killed....thank god. I took a risk and it paid off.

Many people think I am at a disadvantage for doing comedy because I live an hour away in NJ. Be that as it may I don't let it stop me. I go into the city on average 3-4 nights a week and when I am there I try to do at least 2 spots as many as 4. If I cant get a second spot I will stop in at a room (a once a weeker) and watch other comics and find out how I might get up in the future. Some rooms have been very receptive and others are like the secret handshake club. One evening I stopped in and watched an entire show....I bought my drinks and had a very nice time. The guy running the room and I performed in a show together the previous week and I had had a fantastic set amongst some pretty heavy hitters. When the show was over I went up to the guy who runs the room and waited for a few minutes while he finished talking to another comic. He turned around and said " Come by around 11:30 on such and such night you might get up" I asked him how he knew what I wanted to speak to him about and he said " your a comic what else would you want" I then asked him if I should confirm by calling or email I might not be free this coming week ...could I come the next one..and he said as if annoyed..."just come by"and walked away. I did stop by and when I saw him I was told that the show was fully booked and that maybe next time. I then came by a month later and was told that the show is really only for people with top credits... "comedy central etc." He wasn't rude he was just blunt. I hung outside and watched as the comics came and went. I didn't know that some of my fellow open micer's had been on Comedy Central Wow.... or maybe not. It felt like a brush off. I stopped by another night and hung out with the comics outside while I did this I informally barked into the room 8 girls and asked them to tell the guy at the bottom of the stairs Robin sent them down. Later when I saw the guy running the room on the street I tried to talk to him. I said his name as he walked by me 3 times. Finally I walked over to him and said hello and that I was happy to send some girls into the room. He said "thanks" I was just about to ask if I could bark in the future and he walked away. I recently saw him and asked if there was any chance some time I could have a spot and what would I need to do. He told me " sure not tonight" and kept walking. If this was happening to any other comic I would tell them forget it ....There are 100's of places to play don't bother. But It does bother me. I can and do well on stage... I do well with the kind of audiences the room gets and I'm sick of being looked at and treated like I should go home and make a Fucking Pot Roast.

I have come to think that for people who book rooms that are mere more than an open mic, they have an agenda. The first agenda might be that they only book people they need to return favors to. Secondly they book people who will book them. I can deal with this...hey its show biz. They also book there friends ok. Then they book the barkers. The barkers often after only 3 or more hours outside get put on often at the check spot. So what's left. What I resent is the condescending attitude and the way the person yielding the power acts. It reminds me of the guy who gets to direct traffic in the small suburban town for the 4th of July fireworks. All the power goes to their head. I know this is to be expected. But do you have to act so condecending. I remind myself...all I can do is get funnier.... all I can do is get funnier... and I still might not get a spot.


Comments are below

Posted on 06/23/2005 at 10:30 PM by Joe Fernandes

They say the cream always rises to the top. Just keep being you. I have noticed that, the rude comics, often are the worst comics. Just keep standing in line. Move over when the next person in line quits. Before you know it... you'll be right where your supposed to be. See ya Saturday.



By Invitation Only...
Posted on 06/24/2005 at 12:06 AM by Al Wagner

Now that I have seen you rock a room full of comics, the idea that you are getting resistance is very troubling, more so than if you were just a pot roast mama doing spoken-word karaoke. I just remember how sharp you were and a whole lot of laughter. It seems weird, and I know nothing except anecdotes about the booking dynamic, but if you come right out and ask for it, you don't get it. If you hang around and talk about how you are booked for the one competitor they actually feel envious of, then you will be asked. That's my Cinderella story, based on Nasonex-induced delusions.

And the buddy system is in full effect, and while that is every business, there are less alternatives in comedy. I Guess I hope that if I get comedy-blocked by a booker I will have other options, some club will have me when I am funny, but it sucks being turned down for no apparent reason when it is obvious you have game. And you were a five-minute doubleheader, so what does that say?



Ditto on what Joe said
Posted on 06/24/2005 at 08:39 AM by April Brucker

That is often true in my experiece. The rudest are often the worst



Robin, just don't do shows for jerks
Posted on 06/24/2005 at 12:48 PM by Shaun Eli

You're good enough that you can find stage time. No reason to drive yourself nuts nor to support bad behavior. And certainly don't go out of your way to steer people to a show run by someone you don't like.
That's why I always carry my business card-- if someone asks about a comedy show-- HERE! Read all about me. Come see me.
Some people have told me that I'm not ready for their room-- that they fill their shows with people who have TV credits (which, for those reading who are not comedians, is a selling point comedy clubs use-- our comics have all been on these TV shows...). Which is fine. If they then give stage-time to people with no TV credits who aren't as good as I am, I give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they owed a favor. I've gotten into shows for the same reason. But if someone were to ask, they'd be told the truth. He owed me a show, or whatever. If I found out that the person lied to me, however, I stop trusting him. Period. And I very much try to avoid doing business with people I don't trust.



I couldnt have said it better.
Posted on 06/24/2005 at 01:29 PM by Robin Fox

Thank you... It just pissed me off. I needed to vent. I actually hesitated to write about this for a while and then thought...Im not looking to out this guy. I am looking to describe something that I think many comedians go through and wanted to share my anger and frustration. I need to look at more than what I have than what I dont... Tonight I am at DOnt Tell Mamas and I dont Have to bring a soul...based on how well I have done there before. Sat. night Joe and I and some other comics many who are here on the Soapbox will be doing a show for 300 people in East Brunswick, NJ. and getting paid. So boooo hoooo. I wonder what Mr 4th of July has going this weekend??

No comments:

Post a Comment