Friday, April 29, 2005

Whos life is this anyway???

I was watching on HBO a documentary style special about Des Bishop and his experiences at the Aspen Comedy Festival. I was lucky to be asked to perform with Des Bishop at the Morrison Motel Monday night show two months ago. John Morrison puts on once a month an amazing show featuring some of the best working comics in the city and also includes one or two new comics that he feels have real potential. When I received the email from John Morrison inviting me to do the show I nearly had a panic attack. It had been a dream for me to one day do this amazing show. I have a few long term goals and this was one of them. Some of my goals are real and others imagined....this was in the later category. Well at least for a while I thought. I appreciated Johns vote of confidence in me and accepted the gig.....I was scared shitless. It is one thing to hold your own in a room full of open micer's. It is another to perform with several Aspen attendees. The show was full of heavy hitters including Zero Boy who is in a world unto himself and the amazing Demitri Martin. I was to go on towards the end of the show right before Demetri. The show was fantastic and I started to sweat uncontrollably and have the nastiest case of dry mouth. John had comped my dinner and drinks for the evening and much to my surprise paid me too. I felt I had to deliver the best I could. I had a very good set and was received way beyond what I had even thought I could achieve in this room. It was the best ten minutes I had ever done in a room that had such meaning to me. John came up to me and congratulated me for" hitting it out of the park". This man is so very kind. I will never be able to show him just how much I appreciate all of his encouragement and support . He has helped so many comics in anyway he can....he is truly one of the good guys. Back to Des Bishops' special.... so He is being interviewed and says that he did a set the night before in Greenwich Village and it went very well.(this was the show we did the night before) As he is checking into the hotel in Aspen, Rick Shapiro is checking in too. This is way to trippy for me. Rick performs most Thursday nights at Sal's Comedy Hole and MC's and performs in the Dirty Show. Rick is a God to me. Every time I see him perform I feel like I am watching something so special and really feel honored to watch up close this man perform. I imagine this is how people felt when they saw Lenny Bruce or Woody Allen when they performed in the village many years ago. Not since Sam Kinison can a comic make me laugh so hard. Rick and I often talk after our sets and he is so generous with his thoughts and comments on my performances. The first time Rick came up to me after a show and said he liked my set ...I went all girl on myself and started to cry. During the documentary Des and Rick are taking about Des's set. Des asks Rick what he thinks and Rick is telling him his thoughts on his performance and set. I am sitting in my house its 10 am the kids are at school husbands at work and I am pinching myself. Is this real??? I know these people??? Is this my life. ?? My boring little life is not the same anymore. I am not saying that in anyway I am in the League of these major talents. Its more like I cant believe that this is my life now. Its interesting and ever changing..... It just is for this mom who's biggest event in her month once was the Macys sales event ......its unreal????? The next night we had a family dinner and my dad who is in his 80's asks me how my "Little Hobby is going" Back to reality. I wanted to be 15 again and have a fit. Instead I said "Good cant complain"

No comments:

Post a Comment