Thursday, April 21, 2005

Underground Mom

I did 4 sets last Tuesday night.... I am trying to prepare for an hour show I will be doing next month and need at least 15 minutes more of solid material. I have several bits that I just haven't nailed down yet as to words and delivery not to mention the order where they will appear in the set. It is so frustrating having to work out a set 5 minutes at a time. I have set up a fake comedy room in my basement where I have decided to tape myself doing as much material as I can do in a row without notes. Its pathetic. I feel like Rupert Pupkin in the movie King of Comedy. Can you imagine trying to get good at anything else 5 minutes at a time??

After the last show a bunch of us walked over to a party, a management company was having. My first industry party and shit I have on my mom jeans. I'm wearing a sweater set and I look like I just came from doing car pool. I haven't been in a NY club since Studio 54 and it doesn't count because it was 20 years ago and it was a singles dance. Andy Warhol wasn't there or Halson. Sheldon from Yonkers was.... I spent the night ditching him only to find out the guy I did give my number to was his best friend. Sheldon was the best man at my wedding he is still in my life......so much for ditching. So there I am at this happening party.... I say party with a bit of reservation. It was a cash bar and there was not food at all. Id like to get away with that. It was in a basement and was very cool. I'm walking around feeling about as out of place as a dildo in Tiffany's store window. I recognized many of the people. Most of them were several levels above where I am in the business...many had been on Comedy Central or and were passed at top clubs in the City. It was strange knowing so many people who didn't know me. If I was 20 and hot I might of had an easier time but then again 20 and hot always has it easier. Still all and all I had fun. I did have a few friends there and enjoyed the night. I got home at 3:15 made lunches for the kids and husband and was up at 7 for the school bus. I'm living 2 different lives at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment