Saturday, November 12, 2005

There once was a host from NJ....hosting Limerick

This week I will be hosting the Tuesday Night Morrison Motel at the Limerick House. It is a tremendous honor to me because the Motel was the first regular open mic I did when I ventured out of my Comfort Zone of the Stress Factory in NJ. I have a huge affection for this room that John Morrison has put together. It is one of the best of its kind. I have once a month Big shoes to fill. Matt O' Brian did a fantastic job and I still miss him. The other 3 hosts of the month are all talented and lovely people. Ed,Lorrie and Guy are all great.

I still remember the first night I went to the Motel I was so scared and in awe. We had our own group in NJ and we all week after week learned and grew at our craft. Coming to NYC was an entirely different experience. The host my first night in was Lori Chase. Lori is a wonderful comedian and host. I remember thinking.....will I ever be able to do that? Look how at ease she is. That night and during the first few shows I did there I saw Rick Shapiro, Bill Burr, Jason Good, Sue Costello, Carmen Lynch, and Michelle Bateau....... the bar had been raised . Week after week I watched and would all week long drive myself nuts to come up with anything new to bring to the Motel and see if it flew. Slowly I got to know so many talented and dedicated people. It was like that song...NY NY if I can make it there Ill make it anywhere.

So even though I have been fortunate to be hosting at NYCC lately... I feel a different pressure at the Motel. At NYCC the audience is always different. At the Morrison it is a core group that comes in each week and I want to have something new and fresh each time. I was originally thinking of asking each person to answer a dumb question once they finishes.... Like I don't know Paper or Plastic. But that's really dumb. I was thinking of reading passages from one of the 2 women I hate most on this earths auto biography..... Kathy Lee. ( Star Jones being the second) But what I think I will do is just write a short bit to begin the show and just try to explore my funny self on stage here and there.... I promise more there than here. I think this is a good idea because it is an open mic for me too. I am learning how to bring the real Robin to the stage and just be funny from the core and not so much from staged material. We will see it will be a work in progress. I would love to have music but I don't own an I Pod and wouldn't know how to work it if I did..... I just figured out how to text message on my cell after 3 years.

I am performing later tonight at Ramapo College. It is my first college gig so far. Every time I get onstage there is something new to be afraid of and overcome or learn from. Hey its college lets see what I can learn.

Lastly the comic who used my bio as a template changed hers at long last. I had to send her 2 letters but she changed it. It might have been nice If she ever answered my emails at all ...or said sorry....but no. Call me catty or another word that begins with "C" I took her out of my circle. Her new bio is good because its her own and she has quite an unique resume.

Comments are below
I'll see you there
Posted on 11/12/2005 at 08:34 AM by Alan Schwartz

I've been Morrison's sign-up guy on tuesdays, I guess he feels a Jew should collect the money. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do a great job hosting, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. I also took that lady out of my circle. She's still trying to get in my square and rectangle, but I won't let her into those either.



Great
Posted on 11/12/2005 at 11:29 AM by H. P.

Hope to see ya there.

Peace



The Motel
Posted on 11/12/2005 at 08:04 PM by Amy Patrick

I still miss O'Brien too. He was so great. Also, I have read Kathy Lee's bio. It's tremendous. Does Star have one I'll check it out. Have you seen her website?



Yes I have seen Stars web site
Posted on 11/13/2005 at 12:30 AM by Robin Fox

SHe doenst have a book. But here wedding web site is so sick. She paid for nothing. Everyone was told to do it for free since she was selling the photos to all the rags. What a ass. Even if she lost all that weight.



Good Luck Hosting!
Posted on 11/13/2005 at 04:55 PM by Adrienne





great
Posted on 11/13/2005 at 06:36 PM by Sean O'Connor

you did awesome, colleges are so fun and easy.



Glad she changed her bio
Posted on 11/14/2005 at 11:17 AM by Kelly Shannon

quite a unique resume? Are you sure it's hers? Just because she changed from yours doesn't mean she didn't steal somebody elses. I took her out of my circle also.

No comments:

Post a Comment