Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Bio-hazard.....some one liked my bio too much

I was invited to join someone's comedy circle the other day..... I didn't know this comic at all. Not to act like the cool kids at the cool kids lunch table I accepted the invite. I don't want to make someone feel rejected the more the merrier. Curiosity hit me and I wondered if I knew her so after about a week I hit her photo and go to her profile page. She is not from the NYC area. So she might know me just from here on the Soapbox. Then I read her profile and oh my she has lifted my bio. Not that it is a big thing but in someway's its huge. I spent a long time putting that together. I think it reflects who and what I am about. I worked in advertising and really never had to write about myself before and it really bothers me. Now I am going to write to her and nicely ask her to change her bio. Here Judge for yourself....

Here is mine: Robin has spent the past 17 years being a Mom and dieting. Three years ago she gave up dieting and decided to make her life long dream of being a comic a reality. She is happier than she can ever remember and will never look back. Original and funny, she talks from her heart about the frustrations of suburban living and raising a family. No longer is she willing to just be the funniest Mom on the cul de sac.

Here is hers

Comedian xxxxxx has spent the past 14 years being a Mom and dieting. Because it became too hard to juggle both she gave up dieting and decided to take a sit down job with a local invention company. Original and funny, she talks from her heart about the frustrations of public schools, work, public transportation and raising a daughter.

Now I know there are more important things in this world to worry about ie Global warming....writing a clean 30 minute set...... but you know this really bothered me. What was she thinking....? If youll hack a bio....... what else should get nailed down and bolted to the floor???

I just sent her a short note .......

Hi Comedian XXXXX, I wanted to know if I knew you after you invited me to your circle. Tonight I checked out your profile and noticed that you used my bio as a template for your own. I know copying is the sincerest form of flattery....but No. I spent a long time working on that and it is mine. In a bussiness that prides itself on originality....you can do better I am sure. Please change it. Thank-you. Best wishes Robin.

Comments are below
Wow
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 03:22 AM by Adrienne

Sounds like Single White Female. I like the part where you say, "I know copying is the sincerest form of flattery....but No" That was great. Let me know how it turns out.



Ditto on that
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 07:56 AM by April Brucker

Single white female is one scary assed movie. And copying is a sincere form of flattery, but not copying almost directly. Wow. Scary.

And one or two comedians I didn't know asked me to join their circles. I was like cool, even though I don;t know you. But this whole circle thing is like facebook, which isfriendster for college kids basically. Next thing you know comedian XXX will be trying to poke you. (Robin, ask your daughter about facebook).



Single White Female
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 08:32 AM by Alan Schwartz

With all due respect ladies, I just don't see how you can kill somebody with a shoe.



That is just down right tacky!
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 09:22 AM by Kelly Shannon

Good thing she doesn't really know you or she would be stealing your jokes too. I think you did the right thing and with class I should add.



Just woke up
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 09:34 AM by Robin Fox

Its 9:44 and she hasnt gotten back to me. Will keep you posted.



that's a bit scary and messed up
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 10:02 AM by Josh Homer

I agree with Kelly, if someone will take a bio, I think they will take a joke.



#1 FAN
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 11:01 AM by Jud Heine

This may be an inopportune time, but Robin, will you please join my circle? I'm a huge fan. I love that joke you do about....oh, forget it.




Posted on 11/09/2005 at 11:20 AM by Robert Driemeyer

I like your "Not to act like the cool kids at the cool kids lunch table I accepted the invite." I didn't know this person but also accepted. Lucky for me she's not an overweight, bald, ex-chorus boy or I might have had similar troubles.



Hey Robin
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 11:37 AM by H. P.

That was me silly. It's just that I can't come in second, so, why not take from first. By the way, tell me when your next performance is so i could bring my recorder, last time it was difficult to write down all of your jokes to claim for my own.

Peace



you're putting comedian XXXXX in the top 10
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 11:53 AM by Josh Homer

although you never say this person's name, most know who it is, and we have all run to thier page on soap box, and guess what, now they are in the top 10!!!!!! I'm stealing your bio!



No Shit!
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 12:34 PM by Adam Sank

Bitch is ahead of ME now! I won't have it!



You go, Robin!
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 12:47 PM by Correne Kristiansen

As always, you handled yourself like a professional. Next time, though, I think we'll have to beat her up on the playground after lunch...as long as I get to sit at your lunch table.



I didn't want to tell you, but
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 01:39 PM by Ray Rivera

I've been using your mom material, I just couldn't think of jokes about being a mom, especially since I've not given birth, but you never know. What we'll do is if we are on the same show, I won't do your jokes.



Buh-bye....
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 01:38 PM by Sue Ball

Fuck, Robin, I'm WITH ya on this one, and glad you brought this shit UP, as I also accepted a comic in to my circle that I DON'T KNOW and HAVE NEVER MET because my thinking is always, "Sue, don't be an asshole..., be flattered." However, y'know, I'm thinkin' of booting her out, and she may be lovely, but, it IS a little weird....so, yeah, y'know, I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome. Robin, I don't know YOU, but right now, baby, you trailblaze....and I'm pullin for ya.....k?



as the hours go by...
Posted on 11/09/2005 at 02:48 PM by Robin Fox

I am getting more and more pissed. I emailed her last night and she hasnt gotten back to me. As for everyone saying I have acted professional....I dont know if I will still feel like this by tomorrow. Thanks all of you for your understanding and support. Oh and to show you how dense I am it took me half a day to connect Single White Female with the movie. Im on the talent search trying to find a comic named "single" I am hosting tonight at NYCC and will be at the Gotham thing too but will have to leave early. Hope to run into a few of you then.



Its 1:52 and counting
Posted on 11/10/2005 at 01:43 AM by Robin Fox

So heres the update. The comic who lifted my bio has still not responded to my email. Im not sure what the next step is. I would love if we could all collectivly tar and feather her....but that wouldnt be nice. What I will do eventually is kick her out of my circle. oooooooooooooooooooooooow that will show her! I really know its not a biggy but come the fuck on. This is a site for comedians. What do we treasure more than the sound of our own voice............OUR WORDS. The thing that pisses me off the most is it wont even make a good bit except at an open mic where there are a room full of comics. Lastly thanks for putting up with me on this.



Can I out her?
Posted on 11/10/2005 at 03:53 AM by Adrienne






Posted on 11/10/2005 at 09:31 AM by Kelly Shannon

I already deleted her from my circle. I don't want to be associated with someone who steals.



bio changed
Posted on 11/10/2005 at 09:44 AM by Josh Homer

looks like it worked. its changed to a longer wordier, bio.



Thanks Josh
Posted on 11/10/2005 at 11:41 AM by Robin Fox

By the way to those of you reading this I didnt give out her name. The reason some people figured it out is she invited just about everyone who is in my circle. Last night I came home at 2 am from working and the bio was still up. I wrote her a second letter.

It went something like this......

It might be nice if you at the very least responed to my email. It not as nice as an apology which I really do deserve. More importantly... Please change your bio. I dont want to have to resort to speaking to Steve or Danny about this. Lastly as a comic what is the big deal of writing a bio. Its no where as hard as writing a joke.

I am glad she changed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment