Thursday, May 12, 2005

Girls Night Out part 2

Well I did the Pajama Party last night near Philly. Juggling being a mom and a comic has been a challenge but I usually can manage it. Most shows I do start around 8 or later so I can usually hang up my mom hat by 6:30. My kids get home at 2:30pm so homework, play dates, carpools.....etc are done. My oldest drives and helps me out a lot. I needed to be at the show last night by 7pm. It is 90mintes to get there. I leave my home and I have traffic at the end of my drive way. Somebodys landscaper has parked their tractor half way into my path. Its 5:30 and I like to get to most gigs early. My son needed homework help and I had to run and get takeout for dinner cause time was short. I head out to the hi-way and there is bumper to bumper traffic. Idiot...............its rush hour. Not holding a full time job other than mom and comic, it hadn't dawned on me. I am sure I am going to be late.

The entire first 45 minutes of my 70 mile trek was sitting in slow going traffic. This was a huge opportunity and I was going to blow it. There is one thing on the road that pisses me off more than anything else ....when your waiting your turn to get off to an exit ramp and ass holes drive up on the left lane passing all the good people waiting their turn and then at the last minute cuts in. I'm panicking ......this is a huge moral question.Do I faced with being late become one of these ass-holes??? I am waiting 2 miles in line and decide to signal into the left lane and try to cut in line. I drive up towards the exit. I'm already imagining the middle fingers, honking and yelling I will soon hear. Then just 3 cars before the exit a bus stalls and leaves a huge gap about 6 car lengths and I pop my blinker on and shoot offto the exit ramp....so long suckers!! ( Im going to hell) Just a week earlier I got in a screaming match with a girl who at the Holland tunnel after I was waiting an hour in traffic tried to pull the same stunt sans the big bus leaving an opening. Karma is a bitch and I guess I am now one too. I got to the show at 7pm and of the 4 comics on the bill I was the first one there.

The room was packed with almost 350 women out to have a good time. I checked with the bar to see what the Ladies in the room are drinking..... white wine spritzers and vodka with cranberry juice......................... ...the cheap version of a cosmopolitan. Drink up girls!!! There was a huge buffet included with the show and the girls were eating like pigs. Its amazing that when it says All you can eat... you feel like you have a financial obligation to eat as much as you can. The booker was smart and waited till dinner was over and tables were cleared to begin the show. Nothing is more nerve racking than competing with food for an audiences attention.

Tracy Skene was the MC. She is the publisher of the web site Sheky.com a great online comedy magazine. She was a fantastic MC and did 20 up front. She got them all warmed up and howling. Then just as I am about to be introduced she does a joke with the same punch line as a big joke in my set. I am thrown. The premise is entirely different and the joke heads to a different area than mine. I decide to chuck the joke. As I get up on stage its like there are 4 people up there with me in my head. Housewife Robin takes a seat in the front row and is there to watch and encourage... Robin the writer is quickly going through all her pages of material trying to find the best bit to replace the one being tossed. Comedian Robin is doing her set and is blown away by how 350 women sound when they all laugh together. Manager Robin is taking notes on how well each joke is being received and re-thinking whether or not tossing the joke is a good thing. Manager Robin decides that if I don't do the joke ..... the next time I do it might be perceived that I stole it. Anybody who has seen me knows I have been doing this joke for several years. Manager Robin decides that Tracy has never heard it and it is what we rehearsed for a weeks and that "The joke stays". Comedian Robin does the joke...................it hits!!!! Writer Robin is not paying attention at this point and forgets to tell comedian to say something like....that's a callback to Tracy's set. Housewife Robin is having fun and is just glad to be out of the house. I get off the stage and I'm exhausted. It was a good set, It was 14-16 minutes and I feel like I just got out of a boxing ring. The headliner Chris Rich later told me that stand-up is often compared to boxing.

The next comic to got up had a good set although the room was a bit distracted at one point. She came back fast and hard and ended strong. The headliner Chris Rich Killed. At the end of the show we all sat around for about a half hour and just talked. Both Tracy and Chris have been doing comedy for 20 years each. They both have major comedy credits.... They were extremely nice.... Then it hit me. They were secure and I was in no way a threat to them. They had the good careers as full time comics and only had advice and encouragement to offer.

It was a night out with the girls I am truly grateful to have been a part of. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was the opener and it was awesome doing well in a room with 350 drunk and overfed women. I was really happy with my set and Tracy when I was done told the room that I was like a dirty Irma Brombeck......( google her if your under 20)

I really am enjoying these road gigs and I have to say working in a club filled to capacity and having a strong set is better than just about anything in this world. I would love to be an A list comic in NYC and who of us wouldn't. Until then....or if it is never. I will take the road gig that tells me to my core I am a comedian. I like the format of the road shows. 3-4 comics. I like doing longer sets. I like getting paid. A few blogs back (see: Wont you be my neighbor.) I wrote about city comedy vs the road. Luckily I live in Central NJ where I can do both. Tonight I have a spot at NYCC at 11. Im scared shitless....Im always scared. Next week I'm off to Pittsburgh for a charity show. I am being flow, put up in a hotel and getting paid to boot!!!!.......hummmmm???? Sure beats in some ways open mic nights in the city.

I have learned so much and have so much more to go. ... In the past several weeks of venturing out of the city. I think I have grown alot. The most amazing side affect of it all is during the long drives, a what has been happening in the car. On the way to the show I say my set in the car a few times out loud. I have been preparing for my 45 mins in Pittsburgh and need to see how long I can go without notes. On the way home ...... I have been writing jokes in my mind and calling them on to my voice mail so I wont forget to put them on paper in the morining. I haven't felt this creative in months. This alone after months of writers block is a gift from heaven. So maybe I can do both. Be part of the NYC community and get out into clubs outside the city and get to let loose. The goal is to get funnier and be able to make a room full of strangers laugh. This is why I wanted to be a comedian in the first place.

Comments are below
congrats mom
Posted on 05/13/2005 at 09:34 AM by April Brucker

I read this and I a, like damn...you are one busy woman. How you manage to be a mom and do comedy is like, wow! Good for you



U the best ma-ma
Posted on 05/13/2005 at 10:16 AM by Larry Bailey

Congrats Robin..I knew you would rock. I'm really glad things are coming together for you.



Thanks
Posted on 05/13/2005 at 10:46 AM by Robin Fox

Thanks Larry and April. Im glad you knew Larry... I never know??? All you can do is be prepared and do the best you got. April as far as doing so much.... I sat on my fat ass for 20 years procrastinating...not knowing how or why I wanted to do comedy. I got no time left to waste.



Awesome!
Posted on 05/15/2005 at 11:34 AM by Adam Sank

Robin, you are truly an inspiration. Congratulations and may your suceeses only continue to grow... xo



Times ticking
Posted on 05/15/2005 at 05:49 PM by Robin Fox

Thanks Adam, I wasted so many years trying to grow the balls to get off my fat ass and do this. I have not one second to waste. I am happier than I have been ever. Life is a gift. All we got is now. Thats why they call it the PRESENT!!!! I am just greatfull that it just might not be too late for me....to join the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment